Friday, November 22, 2013

MASAKARI/THE ACHERON/7.9.2010

MASAKARI @ Acheron
July 9th, 2010

MASAKARI TERROR LEVEL RED (reunited for this show)
DEATH FIRST
ZHENIA GOLOV

From time to time, I like to think of those shows which blew my mind. They are hard to think of at the time. Sometimes it only happens in hindsight, when you think about it more. But sometimes, in the middle of the show, you realize, 'holy shit, this show is not normal. I can't believe how out of control.”

I remember seeing MASAKARI at ABC NO RIO in NYC years ago. I left that show with a new favorite band, and since they were from Cleveland and conscious punx I was proud to love their tunes.

When my friend Dean and I went an saw them a few years later at in Bushwick, THE ACHERON Brooklyn, we knew it was gonna be a great show, but mid show/set I actually walked out of the show. Throwing up outside simply from how awesome the show was (not because of drinking, sXe) I knew this was one of those shows.

I cleaned the vomit off my face. Shook off the bad vibes, and ran back inside. The walls in Acheron are pure black and back then the pit area was very tight, it has since expanded that space. It was, at the time a disorienting space. I am not sure there was any dancing at the show, but I remember being out of control. In hindsight we may have had a fight in the pit, but whatever it was, it was fun. Masakari drives a crowd bonkers.

They are pure bred D-BEAT machines crusted with awesomeness and pure crowd pleasing/blistering death riffs. When I could not move any more I just stood there and smiled. On bad days, at bad shows, I think of that show, the vomit, the violence, and the shit eating grin that sat on my stupid mug and how those dudes and that crowd poured every ounce of honest energy they had out. It made me happy, and makes me a better person.

Long Live Masakari

No comments:

Post a Comment