Wednesday, January 8, 2014

THE FAR EAST/THE SWAMP/11.11.13

THE FAR EAST @ The Swamp
Nov. 11th ,2013 

CHRIS MURRAY (LA's SKA champion)
THE FRIGHTNRS (scary good nyc reggae)
THE FAR EAST

 

While punk and hc are my bread and butter, I love all music that boils my blood. When I was at the matinee at the Swamp on Nov.17th to hear what I consider to be one of the best musical talents I have ever had the pleasure of hearing, The Frightnrs, I also heard another band that was a pleasant reminder of how moving and energizing other styles can be as well.

Some times the soul gets lost in blistering riffs and ripping punk vox, it is hard to go hard and fast and convey deep emotion. Enter Maddie Ruthless. Ms. Ruthless, along with her collective of killer boys,  lit up the stage as The Far East.

When they hit their rhythm they were a juggernaut of joy. The Far East imbued that crowd with smiles. But that that alone is not impressive to me. I challenge anyone to listen to a reggae influenced band without smiling. Good fucking luck. While I love reggae, some of them tunes can sap folks of resolve. Some slow tunes in general can lull a crowd, but The Far East filled folks with energy. Not an easy task for The Swamp on a chilly Sunday AFTERNOON (it is more of a night show crowd over there). That room was pulsing when they finished, not only in anticipation for the great FRIGHTNRS, but because The Far East took 'em on a ride and left them wanting to go further.

The musicians in The Far East are magnificent. Great songs, played perfectly, and with emotion. But I singled out mentioning Maddie earlier, because I had to ask someone I was watching with who that was playing guitar. She really struck me as something special. Not because she was a woman (all you gutter-brains who went to a fucked up place with that need to get some fucking hobbies). What impressed me most about the set was Maddie's guitar playing. I am no guitar aficionado, far from it. I don't get Hendrix, Led Zeppelin bores the hell out of me, anyone named Jimmy rubs me the wrong way. I am all vocals all day, and Maddie's vocals were spectacular, I don't mean to say that they weren't. But when I was standing there, listing, I was mesmerized by her guitar playing. I even turned to my buddy to comment on it, and he told me to shut the fuck up, which was the right thing to do, as usual.  I honestly had never heard, or never noticed guitar sound so delicate before. Every strum/note/touch reverberated with depth.

I hope to have these folks on a DftU show soon! But either way, yall should GET DOWN with The Far East.

--Joey Steel

No comments:

Post a Comment